April beach clean
Time & Location
About The Event
How it works:
1. Please read the health and safety, PLUS the Covid-19 guidance below
2. Find us at the meeting point from 10am! We have limited litter pickers and gloves, plus bags which you may borrow, but we advise that you bring your own if you have them
3. Get cleaning! (If you cannot make it for 10am, feel free to join later at any time before 11:15)
4. Please bring your rubbish back by 11:45 so that we can weigh it before it is collected at 12
Health and Safety:
- ALWAYS use gloves of pickers to pick up rubbish
- ALWAYS ask a co-ordinator to pick up any needles for you (its rare we find any, but we have a special sharps bin)
- ALWAYS be mindful of what you have put in your bags (they are thin) if there is anything sharp inside watch your legs while walking and inform our volunteers when you hand it back
- NEVER touch any washed up animals (They are part of nature’s ecosystem, let nature dispose of it)
- ALWAYS cover any dog poo with stones rather than trying to pick it up (dog poop carries certain human pathogens)
- ALWAYS walk around the pier, never under it
- NEVER walk on the big rocks by the Pyramids, they get slippery
- ALWAYS mind the water’s edge and keep an eye on the tides
- ALWAYS wear sturdy shoes (no open toes/sandals). Be mindful of the weather. make sure you are wrapped up warm.
We like to reduce the number of bags we use. If you would like to bring a bucket/gardening bag/sturdy reusable bag please do! At the end we will tip them all into one of our white bags for weighing.
Remember: Your dogs are very welcome to help out! But be mindful of the months that dogs are not allowed onto the beach (you could always stick to the promenade if that’s the case)
While restrictions ease, remember that minimising the spread of coronavirus is still paramount. Please do not travel outside of your local area to participate in our beach cleans!
Current restrictions in England limit outdoor gatherings to 30 people as long as social distancing is maintained. Please ensure that you have registered for the event on the MCS website so that we can keep track on numbers.
Refer to the guidelines in your area for full details of current restrictions www.gov.uk
Hand sanitiser will be available at all cleans and should be used before borrowing any of our equipment and when the event has finished (We strongly advise that you bring your own sanitiser if you have it)
Gloves and litter pickers will be cleaned after each event.